Saturday 31 March 2007

Glitch Sampler Part 2


Making a glitchy pad sample instrument, part 2: sampler loop module: triggering the sample at a random point in the loop

Watch the video

Notes

  • (0:36) Here's the macro if you want to have a play with it. Incidentally, I'm not 100% happy with the design - it works, but it's not elegant, and usually when I put it into an instrument I tweak the design for efficiency or to work with the rest of the instrument. If you have any thoughts about how to improve it, let me know.
  • (1:27) This step introduces an event loop into the instrument design, which is a bug; and at the moment I don't know how to fix this kind of problem properly. I'm sure I'll do some research into it over the following months but if anyone knows any resources on event loops, or has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.
  • (2:10) "Looping back to the beginning"... when you import samples into the sample map of a sample module, if you want the sample to loop at all, you need to highlight the relevant sample and click the Loop button in the sample map window. The first time I built a sampler I spent about an hour trying to wire the module's inputs this way and that, before I realised that the sample map window seems to default to no looping for imported samples.

No comments: